Monday, July 21, 2008

since Evan asked...

i've been thinking about my response to Evan, and my diatribe this afternoon in general.

overall, i'd like your artwork to be really strong, and part of that means it should be worth looking at. that doesn't mean that it has to be over the top or outrageous, but that it has some surprising characteristic, something unusual, something undeniably YOURS.

so what i really like is art that challenges me, that forces me to reevaluate my ideas of beauty, or truth, or good, or typical. flip through some of my links to see examples of Kara Walker, Tim Hawkinson, Marcel Duchamp and others.

i see enough thoughtlessness in daily life that it bugs me to see it in artwork in class. i dare you all to make things that you're really proud of, not just something that you got finished. make things that will generate some talk!

like this:

No comments: